Monday, October 12, 2009

My Neighbours the EAGLES


At dawn I was wakened by the celebratory chittering of a pair of eagles. They're back! I've missed them since they left for the fish runs in August. This pair has been nesting in an old, tall fir tree about a hundred feet from my backdoor. The tree is actually on Bob and Jean's property but I stake a neighbourly claim.



We were amazed when the eagles built so close to our houses about six years ago, after a windstorm brought down their nest that used to be a little further down Pilkey Point, and deeper in the woods.

Now they are part of the rhythm of our daily lives; and they seem to watch us as much as we watch them.

Somehow when the eagles return in the fall all seems right with the world - at least in those moments when they call with such joy to announce we're home! we're home! I will keep this good feeling close to my heart all weekend.

Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

  1. You did it! Nice post. I love the pics and story about the Eagles. Very nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your eagles have come home to roost. It must be a comfort to hear them in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather just told me about your weblog! Congrats on the new book. Jan likes to read (she goes through a book or so per week) so I will see how to get a copy for Christmas.
    Wish you all success,
    Mike Z
    http://myphotmemries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete